Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

HKS Rotrex vs. Vortech Centrifugal Differences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Rotrex vs. Vortech Centrifugal Differences

What are the differences between these two types of superchargers? Powerband type, efficiencies, pros, cons?

The rotrex looks different but I can't tell if it works any different than a centrifugal type.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned
The HKS from what Ive read , is a great little SC . And that is its biggest problem , the intercooler is dinky also . It will not get you much more than 300whp .The piggyback ECU is locked and only can be tuned by a HKS dealer, tuner . The Vortech will get you 320 to 350 out of the box and can be tuned for more hp by any good tuner . It can be upgraded easily with a smaller pulley and a retune . The HKS is well designed ,but for the money your not getting much for power

Old 01-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Some friendly advice...Don't listen to this guy, if you go on just about any of the G/Z forums he always bashes the HKS. My guess is because he can't afford one.

The vortech is a great kit and so is the HKS, he just for some reason hates HKS and post ignorant opinions on them constantly. IMHO you won't go wrong with either they both have advantages over the other.

The vortechs I have seen make great numbers up top where the HKS hits a little sooner in the powerband.

The HKS is VERY expensive and not just any bubba can tune it and IMHO that's a good thing simply because it can lead to engine damage if not done properly. I speak from experience on this one a buddy of mine has now spent close to 10K on his z just to get close to where it should have been as booger states "out of the box' should have been.

Just for the record HKS IS very tunable, with the HKS Navigator the engine Mgt. can be set for thre different MAP's now and they also just introduced a 9lb. pulley.

Overall, I would like to apologize for boogers ignorance and to all my buddies on the forum that have Vortechs this was not directed at you in any way but this guy for some reason has it out for any body who has something different that what he has.

That said...do your own research and take opinions with a grain of salt because they can sometimes be bias and misleading, just ask booger for his and you'll see what I mean. Just my .2

Last edited by ScottR; 01-21-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Banned
Scott...you and your friend the Liar . Just love to death this over priced under powered SC ...Fine by me LOL . NOTHING I stated was false or a lie . Now you and your friend on the other hand.....ummmm...LOL

Old 01-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Booger this is my last post behind you becuase relpying to any of your post is just waste time and space on the forum. I think I have proven my point.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Main difference I see....

the Vortech is proven......you are breaking new ground with the HKS.

Good luck and I hope you are very happy!

Old 01-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Banned
Scott ..please tell me what it was that I was wrong about

I said I heard it was a great little SC . Its well engineered , it has great oiling system . The blower unit is small , the intercooler is small , It makes around 300whp , its around a $1000 [ guess ] more than the Vortech .

You and NijaZ , just cant come to grips with it . You over paid for the HP that you get from the kit .

Chit..NijaZ even has to lie about how much his kit makes . He tried to make every one think ...you can get 367whp from it .When he got 303whp and had to spray the IC and suck some up in the intake to get 367whp

The guy that started this thread asked about the Vortech VS HKS . Pro's and cons for both . To help him make his mind up . I dont give hoot what kit he goes with . I dont get browny points to get people to buy the kit .

Yes HKS has a better oiling system . The upper oil pan for the Vortech needs to be tapped , for the oil to drain back to the engine .You get new oil for it every time you change the oil in the car . All kits have good points and bad point .

Now Ive stated nothing but the facts . Instead of trying to make me look bad [ and you cant ] try telling the trueth about the kit

Old 01-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I would love to see someone dyno a stock vortech kit with and without the intercooler. I bet it makes more power without the intercooler!!!!
At stock boost levels, the intercooler has to be inneficient. 6-7 psi and all that tubing! For years, all the mustang kits came without intercoolers and they made great power! now, they have coolers as options.

Has anyone datalogged the before and after the intercooler temps and PSI??? that could be very telling.

Oh, and BTW, did I mention that vortech's main reason for using an intercooler on the kit is to sate the sport compact buyer's desire for the FMIC look. it is ashame that the sport compact market is so image driven! I was told this at the PRI show at the vortech booth. For those that don't know, PRI is mainly aimed at the domestic V8 racing scene.

Last edited by QuadCam; 01-20-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Brando

Actually it is proven..it is a great little kit . It just has down points that out weigh what you pay for

Old 01-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Brando

Thanks man, part of the reason I decided on the HKS was because it hasn't been done on a G for the most part but.

As I said before obviously both are very well built and reliable kits.

If I were going to buy any FI kit strictly based on how much HP it makes I would have gone all out and done motorwork and probably gone with one of the TT kits, thats not what I wanted. I wanted what I determined after allot of research to be the best kit for me...period!

As far as dyno #'s we’ll just have to wait and see. If I got just 300 HP I would be fine with it personally but the guys at AAM seem to be very confident that it will be much higher. Obviously I want more but I knew that going into the whole thing. The stillens are kinda known for not making tons of power (depending on the stage) but check out the vids posted by toptoneone earlier in this forum. That stillen powered G is knocking down 12's regardless of his dyno #'s that's impressive!

The reliability from the oiling system was the biggest selling point for me. I have a daily driver but I still above anything else have to have a dependable car, and with the heat in the SE in the summer this was a concern for me (not to mention my wife will kick my A$$ if the thing takes crap because of the SC).

Secondly being unique comes with a price. In the end it's all a matter of personal preference like any other mod you do to any car.

Last edited by ScottR; 01-20-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by QuadCam
I would love to see someone dyno a stock vortech kit with and without the intercooler. I bet it makes more power without the intercooler!!!!
At stock boost levels, the intercooler has to be inneficient. 6-7 psi and all that tubing! For years, all the mustang kits came without intercoolers and they made great power! now, they have coolers as options.

Has anyone datalogged the before and after the intercooler temps and PSI??? that could be very telling.

Oh, and BTW, did I mention that vortech's main reason for using an intercooler on the kit is to sate the sport compact buyer's desire for the FMIC look. it is ashame that the sport compact market is so image driven! I was told this at the PRI show at the vortech booth. For those that don't know, PRI is mainly aimed at the domestic V8 racing scene.
I really think the intake temps would be to high . Now if you sprayed water& methenol . You could see some high psi levels with it . I did have a boost sensor hooked up at the blower at one time , when I first got my kit . I was making 7.2 psi at the plenum and 11psi at the end of the blower . I did get up to 13.5psi and I would think the psi at the blower would be around 20psi . Ive got a BIG A$$ IC going in now . [31+12+4] with 3 inch out to the thottle body . I'll see what I can make with it soon

I think the biggest reason Mustang guys got by with out an IC is , they didnt have that high of compression pistons . With 10.3 to 1 comp. in our cars an IC is a must , or you wouldnt be able to run any thing above 5psi

Last edited by booger; 01-20-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Just For You BOOG

Here are some calculations that were done.
Recent calculations have shown the following:

In a comparison between a 401whp Vortech and a 329whp HKS SC.

Calculations are under the curve, or "mean" hp/torque. Basically the avg. hp and torque each unit makes under Peak power.

The Vortech avg. HP = 268
The HKS avg. HP = 264

The Vortech avg. Torque = 286
The HKS avg. Torque = 297

What does this mean? That measly little HKS SC that everyone rags on.. Makes more power under the curve and is short on PEAK power by 72whp...

Short answer. HKS makes more useable power. And does so more efficiently. The power curve is better

ALSO,,,,,,,,,,,,
Actually, the vortech dyno i did calculations on was at 408whp. These calculations were done from 3k rpms to redline. The horsepower and torque numbers were taken at 100rpm intervals and awkward "blips" and spikes were ignored.

The HKS at 80whp lower PEAK power, produced HIGHER average torque through the RPM band, and 4hp less throughout the RPM band.

The Jury is finally in on this. HKS even at significantly lower peak power, produces a better power curve. I will run this calculation on some more dyno charts and get a bigger picture of whats going on here

These calculations that were taken off of another 350Z forum and neither one of the people doing the calculating has either Vortech or HKS on their car.

Last edited by Ninja350Z; 01-21-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ninja350Z
Short answer. HKS makes more useable power. And does so more efficiently. The power curve is better
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on that just yet. I'll take higher peak power over average power any day. Why? Because it's an indicator of high RPM torque, which means I can take advantage of gearing and put far more force to the ground. The flaw in your analysis is that you're averaging from 3000 RPM to redline. When's the last time an ideal shift point dropped you to 3000 RPM?

Each setup is going to have different ideal shift points, so comparing either over a fixed RPM range doesn't make much sense. Translate their torque curves to equivalent forces to the ground in all 6 gears. Then integrate each over some fixed speed range (like 30 mph to 100 mph) with each shifting at ideal shift points and compare them then. At least then the results would mean something.

I've written some simulators that do just this, so if you already have the horsepower or torque versus RPM data digitized in 100 RPM increments for either setup, I can run this for you pretty quickly.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by ScottR
The HKS doesn't need an oversized IC simply because it has a self contained oiling system and typically runs cooler..
Uhh..dude... do you understand the point of a intercooler?, its to cool the 'charged air before entering the engine and has nothing to do with the oil, obviously, since the air is cooled after being superchaged, the HKS kit has a oil cooler the mounts on the front of the car, hence calling it a system. Also while the closed oil system will help lower charge temps, it is not that significant and not the main purpose of the system, since it uses traction oil, which is HKS's name for gear oil, which lubricates better than stardard feed systems. And to Ninja350Z, please post the dyno charts to back up what your saying, because you do make a valid point.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by doublearon20
Uhh..dude... do you understand the point of a intercooler?, its to cool the 'charged air before entering the engine and has nothing to do with the oil, obviously, since the air is cooled after being superchaged, the HKS kit has a oil cooler the mounts on the front of the car, hence calling it a system. Also while the closed oil system will help lower charge temps, it is not that significant and not the main purpose of the system, since it uses traction oil, which is HKS's name for gear oil, which lubricates better than stardard feed systems. And to Ninja350Z, please post the dyno charts to back up what your saying, because you do make a valid point.
Uhh, yes I do, but I agree I mixed my points unintentionally. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I was quite aggravated at the time

Last edited by ScottR; 01-21-2006 at 05:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HKS Rotrex vs. Vortech Centrifugal Differences