Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer AVIC D1 touch screen help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC D1 touch screen help

My touch-screen is messed up. Certain area is dead (won't do anything) and certain area on the screen is messed up (ex: I selected A but it touches B). Does anyone experience this? Do I need to send it back to Pioneer to get it serviced or any recommendation?

Thanks
Nate

Old 07-01-2007, 02:36 AM
anyone?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try http://www.avic411.com/forum/

Last edited by 35bills; 07-02-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You have to recalibrate the screen. Now if the ribbon connected to the screen is somehow damaged you're sol.

Frankly I do not know why Pioneer does not include this with the operations manual.

It seems that my screen calibration changes with temperature and humidity. So naturally the screen gets out of wack in the summer.

Anyhow, this is what you do.

1. open the face of the D1 all the way, as if you were to eject the dvd nav disc (but don't do it).
2. hold the reset button (just above the joystick, you need a pen to do it) and the nav disc eject at the same time.
3. let go of the reset button
4. let go of the dvd eject button. the screen will say "press reset"
5. push the joystick up twice.
6. push the joystick down twice.
7. then press the joystick. wait a few seconds and you should be in the service menu. You should be able to navigate the service menu using the joystick.
8. okay this is the tricky part. Go to the screen trace screen (I don't remember the exact name), it should be the first menu item. A screen will come up with the perimeter of the screen outlined. Trace the screen with a stylus. This somehow lets the D1 to know the available area that is "active"
9. press back, which I think is the "P.ADJ" button on the lower right.
10. go to the second menu item which is the touch screen calibration. Just use your stylus and touch the "+" sign on the screen. It's much like calibrating a windows mobile touchscreen. You will have about a dozen "+" to touch to get the screen calibrated.
11. You can mess with the other menus to see if your screen is "really" calibrated.

Okay that's it. I think the D1 resets itself so you will lose your radio stations, etc. And the nav will reset so Los Angeles will show up on the nav screen for the first minute or so. So don't get alarmed.

Now here's the thing. After initially going through this thing, I could not get it to calibrate correctly in step 10. I kept pressing the "+" but could not get it to acknowledge that I've touch the screen. I suspect you have the same problem as I. So in step 8, this is what I did. When you trace the perimeter of the screen, do not go all the way to the right side perimeter. Lay off it by about 1/4". This tricks the unit in thinking that the usable screen is smaller. Then go through the rest of the steps as usual. In step 10 you may have to be off the "+" by about 1/8" of an inch to the right. You will know what I mean when you start doing it and messing with it.

Believe me, I know that it is frustrating that the touch screen buttons are off about ~1/4" to 1/2". And half the time the on screen zoom buttons and audio adjustment buttons do not work. However, if you follow this procedure, I'm willing to bet that it will work. The screen may be off just a wee bit, but at least you can access all the touchscreen functions. Give it a try.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by firefox
You have to recalibrate the screen. Now if the ribbon connected to the screen is somehow damaged you're sol.

Frankly I do not know why Pioneer does not include this with the operations manual.

It seems that my screen calibration changes with temperature and humidity. So naturally the screen gets out of wack in the summer.

1. open the face of the D1 all the way, as if you were to eject the dvd nav disc (but don't do it).
2. hold the reset button (just above the joystick, you need a pen to do it) and the nav disc eject at the same time.
7. then press the joystick. wait a few seconds and you should be in the service menu. You should be able to navigate the service menu using the joystick.
8. okay this is the tricky part. Go to the screen trace screen (I don't remember the exact name), it should be the first menu item. A screen will come up with the perimeter of the screen outlined. Trace the screen with a stylus. This somehow lets the D1 to know the available area that is "active"
10. go to the second menu item which is the touch screen calibration. Just use your stylus and touch the "+" sign on the screen. It's much like calibrating a windows mobile touchscreen. You will have about a dozen "+" to touch to get the screen calibrated.
11. You can mess with the other menus to see if your screen is "really" calibrated.

Okay that's it. I think the D1 resets itself so you will lose your radio stations, etc. And the nav will reset so Los Angeles will show up on the nav screen for the first minute or so. So don't get alarmed.

Now here's the thing. After initially going through this thing, I could not get it to calibrate correctly in step 10. I kept pressing the "+" but could not get it to acknowledge that I've touch the screen. I suspect you have the same problem as I. So in step 8, this is what I did. When you trace the perimeter of the screen, do not go all the way to the right side perimeter. Lay off it by about 1/4". This tricks the unit in thinking that the usable screen is smaller. Then go through the rest of the steps as usual. In step 10 you may have to be off the "+" by about 1/8" of an inch to the right. You will know what I mean when you start doing it and messing with it.

Believe me, I know that it is frustrating that the touch screen buttons are off about ~1/4" to 1/2". And half the time the on screen zoom buttons and audio adjustment buttons do not work. However, if you follow this procedure, I'm willing to bet that it will work. The screen may be off just a wee bit, but at least you can access all the touchscreen functions. Give it a try.

Wow...this's exactly what's I'm looking for...thanks alot firefox. I called Pioneer and was told that I need to take the HU and sent back for re-service. They'll charge $200 if I go thru an Pioneer authorized dealer (will be more for customer) ...what's a robbery...I'll give it a try & post result later...thanks once again

Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by 35bills

Thanks for the link...I dwnloaded 120MB of the service manual but haven't read it yet...

Old 07-05-2007, 05:27 AM
I did it & it works great...here I just add a few extra infos

12. Go to option 4 on the menu to make sure trace screen & calibration is stored.
13. Turn off power (car engine and this will save your calibration)

Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The issue with my D1 is in the hot weather, I can't get the screen to angle down so I could eject a cd.

Its fine in the cold. Ahhhhhh!!!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry to drag this old thread up, but...

After following Firefox's instructions to correct alignment issues with the D1 I still have the problem. Hopefully I just missed something and wont have to send the unit back and pay $200!! Here is a short vid of the inaccuracy on the right and left sides of the display.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbq7DzSZWg0"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbq7DzSZWg0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Any Ideas??

Last edited by TeamJeff; 08-27-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Another area of my touch screen finally gave way, making a lot of "dead" area. I bought a new touch screen panel from here:

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Pionee...X1085/New.aspx

Download the factory manual here:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...r_AVIC-D1.html

It's in 10 parts about ~24MB total.

You need some electronics experience and a steady hand, but you can replace it pretty easily. Good as new.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:49 AM
I was looking for a place to buy a new screen.

How long did it take you to complete install the replacement.

Is EVERYTHING working perfectly now, no need for partial, half-assed screen calibration??

Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 AM
It took about 2 hours max. You just need to buy a precision screwdriver set and a clean work area.

I also replaced the flex cable that goes from the touchscreen to the nav system. This is optional, just thought I'd do it while I had everything apart.

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Pionee...P8744/New.aspx

Again, this is purely optional.

There are over a dozen screws that need to be taken out. You just need to keep track of where the screws and take note of how everything is assembled. I notice that the flex cable from the touch screen to the pcb board was too long. My guess is some engineer miscalculated where the connector on the pcb should be, making the flex cable too long. Pioneer's solution, bend it and put some transparent tape over it. This is probably the reason why the screen is failing.

You may have to go in and recalibrate the screen again, since it is a new screen. But instead of everything being off by 1/2", it is spot on during calibration. Now I can get to the screen buttons all the way to the right.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM
a diy on this would be greatly appreciated, for those of us with this issue who are debating taking it apart... i'm going to do it when it warms up a bit, since my garage is currently in the single digi's. i'll do a write up if no one else has by then...

Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 AM
follow up: i followed the instructions listed above; however i couldn't figure out how to exit the calibration menus to have the avic reboot, there's no option listed for this in the menu. what i ended up doing was simply pressing that restart button(above the joystick), however i'm not convinced that it saved the settings... things seemed better afterwards, but i didnt end up in L.A. or have my presets lost, so i'm not sure that was the right thing to do... maybe the positive results were in my head... :/